Saturday, May 20, 2017

Progress

This week we were asked to read a talk by James E. Faust. There were so many things that stood out to me that I wanted to put here so I could reflect back on them:

 “Will a man rob God? … But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.” Malachi 3:8
Tithing is not a sacrifice, it is a privilege.

 “Thou shalt not covet” (Exodus 20:17). When we do this we become poor temporally and spiritually.
 I have learned that the three most loving words are “I love you,” and the four most caring words for those we love are “We can’t afford it.”

When faced with the choice to buy, consume, or engage in worldly things and activities, we all need to learn to say to one another, “We can’t afford it, even though we want it!” or “We can afford it, but we don’t need it—and we really don’t even want it!”

“Wherefore, do not spend money for that which is of no worth, nor your labor for that which cannot satisfy. Hearken diligently unto me, and remember the words which I have spoken; and come unto the Holy One of Israel, and feast upon that which perisheth not, neither can be corrupted” (2 Nephi 9:51).

I know that there have been, are and will be many things that I want but do not need. Being able to make a decision based on wants and needs is far greater than only making a decision based on if you can afford it or not.

We also watched a video of Guy Kawasaki who spoke words of advice. His comment, "Too much money is worse than too little," really hit home. Sometimes as poor college students we worry so much about the money we don't have and feel like our whole world revolves around our little bank account. But I have seen and continue to hear that having too much money can be even more detrimental to a relationship and value of life.

Peter Diamndis said that "Fundraising is just a transfer of energy." If we have the right motivation, we have ample energy to use and that energy can be harnessed in the way we fundraise. But you'll never know if anyone was willing to donate if you don't ask!


I am really excited about where this $100 challenge is going and where it could take me. There are a lot of people who teach piano lessons out of their home, but I have decided to teach sewing lessons out of my home. I have the plan and I have the budget, now I just need to advertise and get some students!

No comments:

Post a Comment